View Single Post
Old 06-18-2020, 06:14 AM  
lottieS
Newborn Pup

Default Re: What wheels do you recommend for a Syrian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I second the silent runner 12". It's expensive but seems to last years. It is also actually silent, very safe (solid sturdy stand) and you can get a special bar attachment to attach it to the bars.

The trixie wood wheels now come with the cork running track as sushi says (Zooplus sell them) which is nice for hamsters feet. And yes it really does need painting with plasikote so its wipe clean or it gets stinky. You could actually scrub it but it would probably fall apart after a couple of washes.

I have both those wheels for our two Syrians and the Trixie wheel is already on its last legs (some hard running makes the ball bearings go and they end up scraping on the base at a funny angle). It's kind of luck with the wood ones how long they last.

You need to know it the 12" silent runner would fit in your cage though. On it's stand it's 35cm tall so it's taller than your trixie wheel (about 3 or 4cm taller).

Those are the best two options really. The trixie wheel isn't that expensive and a pot of plastikote only costs about £4. It's a little pot, virtually odourless and you just paint it on with a normal household paintbrush - say half inch size. Only takes a few minutes and it's dry in a couple of hours. But needs a second coat - I wait till the next day to do the second coat so its properly hard. I only actually paint the inside of the wheel, not the outside or the stand as they tend to stay clean - you paint over the cork surface as well.

So it sounds like a hassle but not difficult and quite quick to do - just 10 minutes and a paint brush

This is the link to the cork lined one on Zooplus - some of the Amazon listings are a bit confusing as they show the old version with the slats and you're never sure which version you're getting. And yes there were problems with the slatted versions, with splinters and bleeding feet etc. But the cork one is fine.

https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small..._wheels/609617

This is the 12" silent runner - it's imported fromt the US and sold by the sugarglider shop. If it fits in your cage I can highly recommend paying the bit extra for the bar attachment plates rather than using the stand. It works really well attached to the bars plus means you can put the wheel at whatever height/wherever you want and keep the substrate level the same throughout the cage. Unfortunately it's out of stock but if you message them they should say when they're likely to have new stocks.

https://sugarglidershop.co.uk/produc...nner-12-wheel/

This is the plastikote. It's a tiny pot but goes a long way as quite thin liquid and paints on easily.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Unfortunately the 12 inch silent runner won’t fit because the stand adds too much height. What about the nine inch one? I know it’s a little on the smaller side, but it’s still over the minimum of 8 inches? And I think the wooden one would fit, but I don’t like the sound of having to replace it a lot 😬
lottieS is offline   Reply With Quote