View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 12:00 AM  
DobbyTheSyrian
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Hair loss and scratching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda_Horse View Post
Hello, everyone. I don't know whether I should post this in behavior category or this category, but here I am. So today, after some days, I decided to clean my Syrian hamster's cage. I hadn't cleaned it for some time since there is no fresh bedding available in my area yet due to high number of Covid-19 cases around me. Plus, a thinner bedding makes him stress out a lot, so I decided to delay the cleaning process. While I was cleaning the cage today, I found some reddish brown, a bit long bugs in his bedding. They looked kind of like weevils. My grandma tends to feed him, and she ends up giving him a lot of pellets which had led to lots of food debris. I immediately threw out the bedding and cleaned the cage and his toys with lukewarm water.

Also, the bugs might be the reason he is having some hair loss lately, and he scratched himself a lot to the extent he wounded himself. It is honestly stressing me out a lot, since I don't know whether it's the bugs or him being stressed. He was always kind of stressed because the pet store we bought him from treated him horribly. He keeps on making insistent attempts to escape and is hyperactive even we let him out to play, though he never hissed at us or even bit us in anger.

What can I do in this situation? I don't know if I can take him to vet right now because of covid. I don't want him to suffer, and I don't know much about what to do since he's my first ever hamster.

When i brought my hamster home, he had little bugs on him and my vet said they were flees.
They tend to grow in unclean conditions,
So i got him treated and then recently in April he started itching again. I have a thread about it too. So it turns out he got mites due to the change in weather and the flees kind of make a hamster more susceptible to mites. Idk how it works. But i was awfully worried both times.
I would suggest using toilet paper as bedding if u can afford it, cz keeping the same bedding for a long time is what happened at the pet shop i got my hamster from and the next time I went back it turns out my hamster dobbles' brother died cz he was too tiny and couldn't handle it.

Im no vet and I would suggest VERY STRONGLY to meet a vet
What my vet asked me to do was buy selamectin for kittens weighing 1-5kgs. It treats mites, flees, ticks, and other parasites.
In india we don't have hamster specific medicines.
I had to put ONE SINGLE DROP on his neck every 15 days , 3 times. She showed me how and where to do it. If u can get intouch with a vet online would be great too

AGAIN PLEASE DONT SELF MEDICATE. IM NOT A VET

Just sharing my experience! Really dont want to be of any harm to ur hammy. Maybe u could try uploading some pictures too. There's very knowledgeable people on this forum
DobbyTheSyrian is offline   Reply With Quote