View Single Post
Old 06-02-2020, 03:33 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Leaving Syrian alone a few nights a week

I think some of it depends on the hamster’s personality and how bonded you are with them. A more retiring hamster may be fine with the arrangement. An attention seeking maverick who wants to be out every night may not be as adaptable to it but in that case I would go with as large a cage as you can and I would suggest getting two hamsters. I currently have two Syrians - their cages above/below each other - and have noticed they go into a sort of sync. If one has a drink - the other one does. If one comes out then the next night the other one is pestering to come out.

When we had Charlie he was very bonded with us and our almost every night. If we went away for a couple of nights, he pined and looked awful. To the point we took him on holiday with us once.

But you’re talking about getting a new hamster and could have a relationship whereby you get them out maybe twice a week and more of a familiarity and chatting type thing then a close bonded thing of snuggling every night.

I think it could work but my only concern would be they like routine - food out at the same time each night. Lights on and off at the same time each night. You could set the lights and tv on a timer maybe (good burglar deterrent as well).

If your friend could come in to put out food the nights you’re away that would be better. And at least with another hamster in the house there would be a presence (separate cages of course).

They would soon get into a routine of you being there every few days and someone else coming to feed on other days. When I’ve had a pet sitter coming in to feed, the hamsters have hidden away sensing it was not me/us. But they might get used to a regular pet sitter.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote