View Single Post
Old 05-31-2020, 05:01 PM  
Chicleteer
Hamster Pup

Default Leaving Syrian alone a few nights a week

Last January my little Chiclet passed on to the rainbow bridge, and I am thinking of getting another Syrian. I would appreciate some advice, however, on the following: my personal situation has changed, where I am now away 2 or 3 nights a week, which was not the case before, and since I live alone, the new hamster would be by itself those nights. Of course I could leave plenty of food and water, and I do feel that the cage is secure (I have a Prevue Pet Small Animal cage, and Chiclet never escaped from it). However I am concerned that (A) it’s really not safe to leave a hamster alone in the house overnight, and (B) would it be stressful for the hamster to see me and (hopefully) interact with me some nights and then be completely alone other nights? I used to take Chiclet out every night and sit with her on the floor in her play area while she ran around joyfully (I hope) hamstering away, often running under and around my legs, sometimes snuggling between my back and the wall and having a good grooming session. We really had a nice relationship! I get a little sad, remembering it even now....

Sorry to digress. Anyhow, I’m hoping to have an interactive relationship with the new hamster (if he/she will permit it), but I don’t want this situation of my being away overnight at times to be a source of stress or confusion.

I will add that I do have a pet-sitter in the neighborhood who used to come in each day or evening to feed and check on Chiclet back when I did have to go out of town for a longer period of time, and she could certainly be a resource here, at least most of the time (when she’s not out of town herself).

I’m very interested in and would appreciate any input on this. I don’t intend to go forward with getting a new hamster if it’s a bad idea under these circumstances, as hard as that would be. Thanks for any help you can give.
Chicleteer is offline   Reply With Quote