View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 06:50 AM  
ckristen
Newborn Pup

Default Re: new housing queries 🌙

Quote:
Originally Posted by ootchia View Post
hello, i’m back with more questions! a little has developed since my last threads, so i was curious to know the answers.

originally, i was going to make a diy cage, and made measurements for it, leading to 1,110sq inches of floorspace. however, it’s adds up to the cost of £42, but it would probably cost more seeing as we’d have to seal, support and make lots of adjustments, and the building of the cage would be tricky. i am up to the challenge, but my dad, who would probably have to help me, is unbothered and stressed to do so. his work is probably the main cause but he seems stubborn to help, and says we should make a cage out of a small chest of drawers, which would lead to roughly 450sq inches of floorspace. so my mum decided she would buy me an ikea detolf, which costs around £60 for 950sq inches. is this okay? i feel like i shouldn’t downsize it but i can see the diy cage never happening unless i go out and drive to b&q myself. opinions/tips on the detolf? is it okay for both a Syrian or a Dwarf?

pinecones? i would bake them and clean them of any sap. i picked up some really small ones from the forest yesterday and they had no visible sap or bugs on them, but i would definitely bake them first. i thought that i could stuff seeds in them and it could become a boredom breaker.

spineless succulent? i have a small, spineless and fairly plant-like leafy succulent that barely looks like a succulent at all because it doesn’t store water in its leaves. i can send a picture if necessary. it is also rather small and doesn’t need much water. i can’t see it as being physically hazardous, but don’t know if it’s toxic or not.

wood slices? i found some here so I could decorate/do some diy stuff: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NUOLUX-Slic...311459&sr=8-22 if anyone knows any websites that sell things for a natural cage that would be great.

good products at pets at home? just for reference when i go into the store next to buy something, which will probably be for hamsters.

harry hamster food mix? is it okay or should i opt for a different one?

thank you for reading!
I would also like to know about the wooden slices, they look fab!

I have a wooden and plexiglass cage that is about 1,035 sq inches if you would like another option too.

I found pets at home to be good for substrates and lil toys, I got some sand and aspen bedding from there on a deal which was good value. I bought a lil grass nest and some chews too that are great.

I did find that pets corner (i don't know if you have one near you, but they're online too) are great for forage and treats, with lots of options! They have floral and other forage for about £4 which I thought was good!
I also use flax sprays which are cora my syrians favourites! I got mealworms from tesco too in the bird food section.

I ordered some things from rodipet too which was great but a little expensive, I wish I could buy the whole shop though! I found that pets corner stocked similar things though for a cheaper price. I have heard that the rodipet food is the best though so maybe order a few things at once to make it worthwhile!
ckristen is offline   Reply With Quote