Thread: Meet Sock
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2020, 06:55 AM  
HamsterHaven2020
Newborn Pup

Send a message via Skype™ to HamsterHaven2020
Default Re: Meet Sock

I would say don’t try to put your hand in the cage yet.

This is my method ( it might not work for everyone though )

1. Leave him in his cage to settle down for about a week changing his food and water when he’s asleep.

2. Rub your scent on his bedding so he can smell you but not come too close to you.

3. Talk to him while he’s awake so he is familiar for your voice for 1-2 weeks.

4. Lift him out of his cage in a house or mug and put him in a small-ish plastic box or bathtub (with a blanket down) and tempt him with treats on your hand. I normally do this for about 2 weeks.

5. When he is comfortable sitting and eating on your hand, a slowly lower your hand into his cage (with a treat) and wait to see if he will climb onto your hand.

6. When he is comfortable with your hand in his cage (be patient because it’s his space) try lifting him up a couple of inches off the ground and see how he reacts. Don’t lift him too far because if he gets spooked we don’t want him to get hurt. Keep doing that for a week or two and he should get tamer and tamer.

The most important thing to remember is to be patient because your hamster might not even become tame at all. Sock is adorable by the way. Sending hugs to everyone’s hammies!
HamsterHaven2020 is offline   Reply With Quote