View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 10:31 PM  
UrielSasher

Question First hamster, what should I do?

Yesterday I got my first syrian hamster, he should be about 5 weeks old. I have him on a bin cage for now, I plan to upgrade it once he is a bit older, at least after all this COVID-19 problem stops. Also because it's a bit harder to get good hamster supplies here in Mexico. I think he likes the cage but he seems really really shy. He isn't shaky, but he is very careful for everything he does. He goes out every few minutes to eat some food and then goes out into his hideout, sometimes he takes some food with him. Yesterday he was running on his wheel for normal periods of times, now he runs a little, looks out, runs a little more, then he goes back to his hideout. I'm also not sure if he's drinking water, yesterday the water bottle was leaking, and I never saw him drink out of it. Today I changed it for a water bowl, but I also haven't seen him drink. I know this could be normal behavior for a new hamster, but I don't know how to make sure he's doing okay, since he won't let me pick him up or get close to him (Which is normal), but I don't know if he has been like this since he was in the pet store, and I'm worried he could be dehydrated. What advice do you have for me?

Last edited by souffle; 04-07-2020 at 05:42 AM.
UrielSasher is offline   Reply With Quote