View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 12:43 AM  
Skye Hamsters
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Senior hamster suddenly afraid, wont come out of burrow

Hi everyone! I adopted my first hamster (a syrian) 3 months ago from a coworker. He's a year and 7 months old according to his previous owner. He's normally very outgoing, bossy, and enjoys being out of his cage. In fact, he used to wait for me to come home in the same spot every night so I'd give him some sunflower seeds and take him out. Recently he's suddenly stopped coming out of his burrow except in the dead of night after I've gone to bed. The last two nights he's come out when he thought I was in bed and I wasn't he froze like a statue as if he was petrified of me. Even when I put my hand in to let him sniff me or give him a treat he would just stay frozen until I left. He used to get up mid day for a drink and a bathroom break but he hasn't been doing that either. I'm worried that he's so scared to be out in the cage and of me, especially since it's such a dramatic personality shift. It's been going on for a week now.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is this normal for older hamsters or is he possibly sick?

I did a health check the last time I had him out: clear eyes, no lumps or bumps, and he didn't seem to be in pain. I appreciate any advice you have!

Last edited by Skye Hamsters; 03-26-2020 at 10:21 AM. Reason: To clarify hamster species
Skye Hamsters is offline   Reply With Quote