View Single Post
Old 03-15-2020, 07:35 AM  
Wembley
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Wembley has passed on.

I feel absolutely rotten. It’s the classic case of feeling guilty for your pets death, and the “what if”s of it all.
Wembley was a bit over two years old, and lately I’ve felt a weird energy about him. I knew he was perfectly healthy and active and healthy, but in his age I felt as though every moment is precious?
Last night, I gave him some scrambled egg which he pouched, and thought I should take him out for a while since it’s a weekend and I can’t always get him out as long as I’d like on weekdays. I took him out and he was running around as usual, climbing on his carrier up to where the food bags are on top of it, as usual, and even managed to climb inside a bag and eat some before I took him out . When I take him out to free roam, i sit on the floor back on to my couch, and he’ll climb onto my lap and up over my shoulder onto the seat of the couch and back down again and so on. Sometimes he climbs onto the arms of the couch, but usually comes back down again and never jumps. He was such a climber, constantly climbing onto the backs of things and so on. I was back on to him, on Etsy looking at toys for him, as lately I’ve been considering getting a rescue mouse, which my brain made me feel guilty for like i was “replacing” Wembley. As I was looking at toys for him, he climbed onto the arm behind me, and I wish more than anything I had turned around and took him down and he’d be sleeping soundly now. Or that I hadn’t taken him out at all, or that I’d went out for the night instead. I heard a thud and immediately knew he had fell, but he’s had other cases like this one, when I first got him I had a bin cage for him and he somehow escaped from the cage on a desk to behind my book shelf, meaning a high jump.
Anyway, I turned around to soothe him and he was flat on the ground on his side and limp when picked him up. Immediately I felt chilled and awful, he started gasping for air and his head started twitching, i tried to offer a bottle in my panic and google for help while petting him, but eventually he stopped breathing. I feel awful since if I had only not taken him out, or caught him he could have lived for months more. I know it’s wrong to think this way since he could have gotten sick in a month, no one knows, but it was so preventable. I feel awful since he trusted me and he was probably so confused. This is my first hamster ever and I know he had a good life as he free roamed, had a 702 sq inch cage and I had taken him to the vets before. I feel so guilty whenever I see photos of him and I don’t know how I’ll ever get another pet without feeling morbid as I blame myself for Wembleys death. Nothing feels real.
I’m scared posting this that someone will confirm my belief that it’s my fault, but I need to get it out of my mind. Accidents happen and he had a good life. I’m guessing to die so fast he must have done something to his back or neck.
Wembley is offline   Reply With Quote