View Single Post
Old 03-14-2020, 06:09 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Untamable hamster

It's all been said I think every day is too much. With taming any hamster -every 2 or 3 days might be better. They need some space sometimes . I never did tame our robo - mainly because I had an awful lot on shortly after we first got him and it takes a lot of effort. If I had put more time and effort in I'd have got a bit further - it was lovely when I did pick him up and stroke him (in a playpen). And he didn't try and wriggle free but I do wonder if it is "playing dead" out of fear initially rather than being tame! The closest I got was that and having him run up my trouser leg while in the playpen. At least it was contact! However he would sit and have little chats. Him in the cage, me with the cage door open. He would sit and listen for ages while I talked to him. So there was quite a bit of interaction and he knew me and would communicate - showing me his wheel was stuck, showing me his ladder wasn't right - going over and kind of nodding his head and saying look at this! And looking at me and back again. So you do have a kind of bond and relationship.

But I could never put my hand in his cage without him running to hide.

This article is very helpful regarding taming robos - it helped me as partly I was a bit nervous of trying to pick him up in the playpen. They can be tamed - but like all hamsters they have individual personalities and some are more skittish than others. Some are more maverick and some more shy.

It's written by a hamstery who breeds robos. I can completely relate to the bit where it says food isn't the way to do it as robos are less interested in being tempted by food.

The Roborovski's Dwarf Hamster

Hope it helps! They are known more for being watching pets rather than handling - but they can b very entertaining and funny and also come out more often than syrians - during the day sometimes.

I found the easiest way was a playpen - with me in it as well. He'd run over me and I could pick him up and hold him while he walked past. The hard bit was getting him out of the cage in the first place. I would have to dismantle everything as he'd run behind the wheel and flatten himself between the wheel and cage bars even when everything else was removed from the cage. If you can get him out of the cage easily you're doing well.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote