View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 09:38 PM  
sushi_78
Hamster Overlord

Default Re: Untamable hamster

Sorry to hear you're having this trouble. As you know, Robos are a very timid species and are notoriously hard to tame. They are also a species that very much likes everything to be on their terms, so they may walk onto your hand for a treat, but they won't necessarily want to be lifted up. Trust is very important with taming Robos, and is easily broken - so it's important not to push him. If he's not comfortable with being lifted I would not push him anymore at the moment. Wait a month or so, and just keep putting your hand in with a treat as you have been doing, and maybe after that time you can try again. If he still isn't comfortable, wait another month.

There may also come a point when you can make no more progress, and you may have to stop actively trying to tame him, and just appreciate the progress you have made. I also have a untame Robo, and when I got to this point I found I could finally enjoy her as the hamster she is, rather than trying to turn her into a friendly and cuddly hamster she will never be. I feel that with Robos, even a tiny bit of progress with taming is a success, and even if you never make any progress, if you gave the hamster a good and happy life, that is also a success. Don't ever feel like you or him failed if he is never completely at ease with you, because this is really quite rare with Robos, and even to get him eating on your hand is quite a success. Many Robos never even get to that point.
sushi_78 is offline   Reply With Quote