View Single Post
Old 02-25-2020, 01:32 AM  
Ithuviel
Adult Hamster

Default Re: 2 litters at the same time (help with info pls)

Thank you for telling me abut the delay. After i searched gestation period in hamsters i panicked. I hope i will be able to tell if there is a second litter before birth, i don't want to separate the pups for no reason. The signs of pregnancy that i read she is allready having, like nesting, eating and drinking a lot of food, but she is nursing pups. So my guess is that she needs extra for the pups. My chance is if i will be able to tell a few days before the second birth if she has pups inside her.

What should i feed pups this young if it is necessary to take them away from mom?

Thank you all for all the info i really didn't know about the delay.

Side story for today:
Yesterday evening i absolutely had to remove the green tray from the cage because it became a safety hazard. She kept digging for days under it and it could have fallen on her at any moment because she just kept digging. I did this just in time because when i lifted the tray up she had one of the pups with her under it. She then moved the pup back into the nest then i added more bedding and a bendable bridge.

This morning, i found her sleeping in a hut that is next to her nest and i panicked. I tought: OMG she abandoned her pups because i removed the tray! She was in that hut seeming very content and sleeping. She got out to drink and there was no pup in the new hut. I can't even remember what i had for breakfast, i was so stressed. I came back and a saw in their old hut 2 pups. I was happy they were alive. Shortly after the mother came and tended to them. I was so relieved she has not abandoned them. I am so happy. Anyway i could safely see that there are 3 pups. My guess is that she has 3 and not 4 as i was informed.

Thank you all once again.