View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 06:43 AM  
Ithuviel
Adult Hamster

Default 2 litters at the same time (help with info pls)

Hi everyone

Sorry if i'm putting too many questions but i still have lots. So some of you may have red this thread where i explained that i took a female hybrid hamster in foster care that has 3 or 4 pups. When i took her in the pups were 5 days old (the owner told me). Unfortunately, she was not immediately separated from the male after giving birth.

By my calculations, when the current pups will be almost 3 weeks old i should expect a new litter. My concern is that she will cull her new pups because the old ones are still there. I don't know if i should separate the older pups early.

Did anyone else experience this? what should i expect?

Another information i got from the previous owner is that the current pups is a second litter. The first one was killed by the owner. Apparently they had them since december, but they were dumped by another previous owner that got bored of them

I still find it rather strange that they didn't have many litters all of this time. Another thing i noticed about the mommy hamster is that her ear is bitten and she is missing a "finger" (i don't know what to call them). This is probably due to fighting. Otherwise she seems very active and is taking care of the pups.

I am giving her extra food and extra proteine daily and she seems extremely fond of tissue paper.