View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 05:16 PM  
GhostsInSnow

Default Re: Is the Vet really doing the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
Yes, I'll definitely be sticking with it although I am just nervous. Do you ever see anything other than Baytril given for a URI?

Lung scarring... Hmm, I've never heard of that. Maybe I'll ask about it at the next visit. The infection apparently wasn't very severe and we caught it early, on the first day she was showing any symptoms.

I don't think the bedding is dusty... It is supposed to be dust free, after all. Is paper bedding usually the way to go for allergies?
Unfortunately pretty much all other antibiotics are unlicensed for use in small animals. Baytril tends to be what we use 99.9% of the time where I work.

As Serendipity mentioned, it's important to ensure your hammy is getting the correct dose at the correct time. I personally use baby food, a nice fruit one or a chicken flavoured one goes down a treat. I take some out of the jar, mix in the dose of medication and draw the mixed food and meds into a Syringe. That way I can ensure the correct dose has been given and they've eaten it all. Popping it on food and leaving in the cage can sometimes work but the danger is them not getting the correct dose, getting a double dose when you put the next lot in or just them hoarding it and not eating it at all.

Yes paper bedding tends to be the way forward with allergies, I've used kaytee clean and cozy in the past and never had any issues. The only way I could see it being an issue is if you got a bad batch that hadn't been efficiently dust extracted enough but you would notice that yourself.

Totally agree on the probiotic front too. Antibiotics can play havoc with the digestive system so probiotics would help get everything back in balance and give your little one a boost in the process

GhostsInSnow is offline   Reply With Quote