View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 03:39 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Is the Vet really doing the right thing?

The only thing I would add is that it is important to make sure they get the dose or an infection can worsen. It’s the same with humans and antibiotics which is why you have to take the doses at regular intervals and complete the course even if you start to feel better. Basically the bugs are fighting with the antibiotics - if you stop the antibiotics too soon (or she doesn’t get the full dose) then they can become superbugs and resistant to the antibiotics.

How are you giving the baytril? It tastes nasty so usually they don’t want to take it. A couple of tips on here were - syringe feed it with a tiny bit of runny honey in the syringe after drawing up the baytril. Or put the dose on a tiny bit of meaty beefy dog food they can’t resist. Pea sized- they need to eat all of it hence a tiny bit. That worked for me and our Robo got hooked on the meaty dog food!

All that aside it is possible it is a viral infection and then the antibiotics won’t work. As advised above - finish the course and start her on some probiotics as well. I used benebac and gave it at a different time of day to the antibiotic dose so they don’t interfere with each other. My routine was dog food/ baytril afternoon / baby food with probiotic night time.

The baytril itself can make them a bit off colour but that usually improves when the course is finished. The probiotics will help support her guy and immune system recover from the antibiotics.

If it is viral it should clear up on its own. For helping boost the immune system
you could give a pinch of hemp seeds daily - chock full of vitamins and minerals and they like them- our jammies licked them up from
A little baby good lid ( I put them out separate to the food). Also half a Brazil nut once a week - contains an ingredient that boosts the immune system and a nice treat.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote