View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 08:36 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: The cost of owning a hamster

I learned a lot the hard way with cage items - wasted a lot of money on cage toys that were either unsuitable, dangerous or just broke very quickly. I think the biggest initial expense is the cage but I am very careful with toys and set up now to avoid things like splinters - some toys and houses even have nails! I bought sandpaper for the first time in my life! And that helps when checking wood items. Bendy bridges are very popular but some of those have gaps a foot can get caught in - I only get the smooth coloured ones now. Putting hard toys under a shelf prevents fall injuries as they just land on substrate or soft items.

But it does sound like you’ve had duke bad luck so far! Also dwarf hamsters are hybrids and perhaps more prone to health issues! With all 3 of our Syrians, none have needed vet treatment until they were very old. Our Robo has to have a couple of visits and meds at less than 1.5 years old. Russian dwarf hybrids have the genetic possibility for disease and also the same from possible breeding practices.

The skinned nose doesn’t sound good! What was he chewing?! Sadly many people who get them as starter pets, don’t want to know when they get sick or old or injured and sell them for rehoming etc.

Sorry your little ones have had these issues. I think Syrians tend to be seen as the “easier” starter pet but even they can have genetic predispositions to certain health issues or die young.

They are lucky to have you to look after them.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote