View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 12:38 AM  
junebuggie
Newborn Pup

Default Discourage chewing on cage?

My Syrian Blondie has settled in well since I got her in November and I have very few problems with her anymore. My family helped me make a custom lid for her Detolf which consists of a plywood frame and a wood and mesh door that's soon to be attached with hinges (in the meantime I just have something sitting on the door to weigh it down).

Blondie tends to want to escape, which I know is pretty typical, and I try to give her some playpen time so she tires herself out. She's got a nice big wheel and plenty to chew on. And yet she insists on climbing up the walls to chew on the frame of her lid. I'm just worried she might damage it badly enough that we have to repair it, which would be a pretty big pain in the neck.

Is there any way I can discourage her from chewing on the sides and top of the cage? The first thing that comes to mind is the type of thing you'd do for a puppy (bitter apple spray, hot sauce, etc.) but I have no idea if that's safe for hamsters and I definitely wouldn't try it without confirmation. How do y'all get your hammies to stop chewing on wood they shouldn't chew?
junebuggie is offline   Reply With Quote