Thread: My trio
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2020, 07:19 AM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default My trio

Hi all as many of you know I have 4 hams but I also have 3 rescue dogs.

First we have Beau, nicknamed Sheep, my bichon frise. He is almost 2 (March 1. Rescued him from a puppy farm which has now been shut down. He was roughly 5 weeks old and 1.35kg when we got him and bleeding from places he shouldn't bleed. On death's door, vets didn't think he'd make it but here he is almost 2 years later with no stunted growth standing 12" at the withers, 9.5kg and almost show worthy! He does have allergic skin disease and has to be on a hydrolyzed diet for life. He also needs a special shampoo to help his skin also as well as steroids during flare ups. This will probably mean he'll have a shorter life span but I'd rather him have a shorter comfortable life than live 15 years in agony. Despite this he's a lovely lad. Mayflies are the enemy and hedgehogs are friends. He gets mesmerized by fireworks and lightening but then freaks out because of the noise. Sirens are bad too. Oh I wish I knew what happened when he was a baby to make him this way but I doubt that I'd want to know.

Next up we have Pebbles, nicknamed little lion, a Lhasa Apso. Originally thought to be a shichon (bichon cross shih Tzu) but quickly found not to be the case. She was so thin and malnourished when we got her. Vets use a scale of 1-5. 1 being so skinny, obviously neglected, 3 being ideal weight, 5 being obese. Little Pebs was a 1 and I died a bit on the inside when the vet said it and what that meant. Pebbles had never walked on carpet or grass and was quite fearful of people. If you went to touch her she'd cowar! Even now she'll pee and poo when stressed... normally at the vets and then cowar when she's done it. We've never hit or raised our voices at any of our dogs so when she does it I just want to pick her up and cuddle her telling her it's ok. Fireworks and thunder make her shake uncontrollably but if someone's jumping the fence to get into the garden she'll try and rip them to shreds. Shows fear aggression with new dogs so has to be muzzles on walks, but she's getting better now and has been on 2 walks without a muzzle (yay). Pebs loves squeaky toys and has a high prey drive so as you can imagine squeaky toys don't last long! So if anyone knows of any good makes I'd love to know. She's now at a stable weight of 7.5kg and 11" at the shoulder. 100% muscle with very strong jaws...I wouldn't want to be on the recieving end of the bite O.O she'll be 3 in April.

Last but not least is little Bella boo, a toy poodle cross shih Tzu. She turned 5 in November and on the 25th we would have had her a year! She's great with young children and good with other dogs providing they don't chase her. Her previous owner had died and the daughter couldn't cope with all the animals which is understandable. Bella was underweight when we got her, surviving on 5 bits of kibble a day. She'd been bred and was in a poor state. She was very matted but ran into a problem as she freaks when you try to shave her or brush her then we found that scissors near her tail is a no go! Looks like a failed docking so it's healed in a permanent right angle. She's got a few cysts and the vets confirmed that they are so, she's had a few 'pop' while with us but they have healed nicely and she has a few more come up but they don't bother her. She is down to just 18 teeth now (dogs have 42) but that doesn't stop her. She's now able to clear a 400g tin of wet food a day and could potentially eat more. She's about 4.5kg now and looks completely different to what she did. Her giraffe teddies are her life and will get them if you tell her to get 'raffe. She does suffer with seperation anxiety but she was close to her previous owner and toy 'companion' dogs are more prone to it. She will only sleep on my bed with her giraffe, if one or both are missing you can forget it.

I know their stories seem all doom and gloom but they've landed a life of luxury now 😊 Fair to say they're very happy. (Sheep is chewing a bone by the way, I know how it looks)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190704_204043691.jpg (3.07 MB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1576781058824.jpg (58.3 KB, 39 views)
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote