View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 06:33 AM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: Any Gardeners here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
That's easy. Get a composter or allocate a space for a compost heap and chuck peelings in it then get a garden fork and turn it over now and again. Takes about a year to get some decent compost. I haven't bought any commercial compost in years and don't use any kind of chemicals in my garden either.

Pears and hazelnuts grow in my garden anyway. I also grow herbs and have grown runner beans, cucumber, radishes, lettuce and pumpkins that looked like UFOs in the past.

I'm not really into flowers much and prefer architectural type of plants like yuccas and other spikey ones but saying that, i poked myself in the eye once moving one and had to see the Gp so i wear protective glasses now when gardening.

What's a loofah? Only loofah i know is the one to scrub my back with.

My Syrian loves dandelion leaf and flower, glover, daisies and herbs like basil and parsley. They are all munching on my stash of homegrown hazelnuts. I have to slightly crack them though. First time i gave Syrian Henry a hazelnut he showed a lot of interest but couldn't crack it open and ended up playing pawball with it.

Are all hamsters so de-skilled? Does anyone have a hamster who is able to crack a nut open?
I guess my worry is having the compost pile too wet and drawing in maggots. Maybe I'm overthinking it, getting enough slow decomposing in with the faster stuff. I read that it takes roughly a year, not a fast process but that's ok. Got plenty of organic matter to put in there!

I had a yucca in my garden...sliced someone's arm pretty bad. After that we dug it up (more for my nieces sake) but it we obviously didn't get all the root as every year several baby plants appear. Got some cabbage palms, feels like we're abroad haha. Got a red spikey yucca type thing too. Got some snowdrops, rhododendrons, Azaleas, hydrangeas, honeysuckle which smells beautiful when in full bloom. Acer is a nice touch on the patio. It's pot bound as it's a tree really but is quite Oriental looking and I think the leaves are edible too.

To be honest flower wise everything really takes care of itself. Pruning when needed and most of its in the ground and rarely needs watering. When everything is out it's like a secret garden, attracts an abundance of wildlife.

Loofah is exactly what you use to scrub your back. Essentially a sponge. Also doubles up as a chew for rodents if you leave it to fully mature and harden. Or you can eat it while it's still young. Not sure how tasty it is. I get through a lot of sponges when cleaning as well as chews for the hams. I wonder if it's safe for dogs? (I have 3).

My Syrians love a dandelion salad mix. Was going to try them with chamomile and cornflower this year. My robo Niko just ignores it and walks through it. I gave mine pistachios and they had a great time. Now they were already open so I guess that helps. Also monkey nuts...Athena is clueless, have to open it slightly first. They'll get the hang of it eventually I guess
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote