View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 03:03 PM  
sushi_78
Hamster Overlord

Default Re: Any Gardeners here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engel View Post
Quite a few things can be planted in containers to be honest. Now what you grow depends on what you eat. Also look up companion planting as this will help you grow more in a limited space. For example, growing carrots can take a few months so that's a lot of relatively empty space. So you can plant lettuce as they quickly mature and are shallow rooted. Another example is again planting carrots and planting peas or beans on top. Peas and beans release a lot of nitrogen into the soil which carrots LOVE. When the pea plant starts to die off, just cut the stem just above the surface of the ground rather than pull the whole plant out. The roots store a lot nitrogen too so it'll release it back into the soil.

Right here's my list of things to grow. Keep in mind I do all mine from seed. You can use bulbs or buy starter plants if you wish! Any in bold will be new for this year. Any in italics will be what I have grown before but not going to this year. I'll add the variety name if there's a specific one that I recommend although its entirely up to you!

Basil
Beetroot - Boltardy
Broccoli *
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage *
Carrot - 'nantes'
Cauliflower - variety 'Cheesy' F1 *
Celery
Coriander
Cucumber - 'Carmen' (indoor variety), 'Mini munch' and
'Marketmore' (outdoor variety)
Dill
Fennel
Kale*
Leek
Lettuce- 'Little Gem', 'Webbs Wonderful' and 'All the year round'
Onions - (Spring or bunching onions) 'White Lisbon',
(Red) - 'Red Baron' and 'Red Brunswick'
(White) - 'Sturon' and 'Ailsa Craig'
Parsley
Parsnip - 'Gladiator' and 'White Gem'
Pepper - 'California wonder' and 'Gourmet'
Potato - normally do second early varieties
Pumpkin*
Radish - 'French Breakfast'
Spinach
Strawberry
Swede*
Sweetcorn
Thyme
Tomato - 'Money maker' and 'Alicante'

I've put a * next to the ones which I recommend NOT to plant in pots which is hardly any to be honest In theory you could plant cabbages in pots but they'd probably come up small
Thanks so much for this. I forgot about strawberries, I'll think I want to grow those.

I looked into growing loofah a while ago. Loofah chews from pet shops are so overpriced, but my pets do like them. I think I might revisit that idea.
sushi_78 is offline   Reply With Quote