View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 01:39 PM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: Any Gardeners here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyBubbles View Post
I try... I do tomatoes every year but the birds and squirrels get to them before they are ripe. I typically get to eat my peppers and cucumbers (if I get any cucs) we have been trying melons but don't think we have watered enough or had to pick them before a freeze and they didn't have time to ripen. We always have great basil and mint. Will do some new things this year as well for hammy.

We have had a plum tree in our yard until this last year. Wonder if I will have more critters in the garden now that that food is gone... or maybe less since the tree isn't here to draw them in?
Where are you planting your toms? If planting outside have you tried a bit of foil on string by the crops,? As the light hits it, it gets mistaken as a threat, scaring birds and other critters away!

What's happened with your cucs? Do they just not grow? Indoor or outdoor variety? (I've grown both so may be able to give you some tips). Never tried growing melon. Tried growing pumpkin one year but I had the same problem as you.

As for the tree. Maybe more as you're thinking of growing more things this year. But that depends what you're planting. From what I have found, if you plant things by onions, garlic or anything citrus (like lemon grass), because of the strong smell, a lot of animals won't go near it. Natural deterrent
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote