Thread: Sprouting seeds
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2020, 05:23 PM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Sprouting seeds

Food poisoning from sprouts generally, possibly even always, comes from improper handling of sprouts and/or improper maintenance procedures which would allow harmful bacteria etc to gather without being removed.

This is very similar to raw feeding dogs I think. A lot of concerns people have over such things in the raw meats and such could be easily avoided with proper procedures such as handling, storage, and feeding procedures. However when done properly and safely, raw feeding can be wonderful for dogs and cats along with other carnivores - just as feeding sprouts can be wonderful for hamsters and certain other pets(and humans)!

Personally, I would view sprouts as a vital form of nutrition and enrichment for many pets. I know they're popular in the bird community(parrots specifically) due to their amazing nutritional value in comparison to dry relatively lifeless seed. At the moment I don't have pets that would be too interested in them(and I probably won't for a significant chunk of time now due to a series of unfortunate events), but if I did have a hamster for example they would definitely be part of my overall hamster care.
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote