View Single Post
Old 02-05-2020, 01:49 PM  
Vierville
Hamster Addict

Default Re: New Member feeling sad

So happy that Buddy is doing ok. He sounds like a very special little guy and you sound like a great and super caring hamster mom.

On the topic of growths, they are sadly very common in rodents like hamsters. My little dwarf had numerous growths. If a growth is in a place that is causing the hamster discomfort or impairing their mobility then it is a good idea to have it removed depending on the hamster's age but if a growth appears on a part of the body that isn't causing too much discomfort, sometimes it is best to leave it.

I only say this because there is a chace Buddy might develop other growths or tumors in the future and operating to remove them might put him through more pain or trauma than just letting them be.

Factors to consider are where the tumor is, whether it is benign or malignant, how old the hamster is and how much pain and trauma the particular procedure will cause.

A hamster can live quite a good quality of life with even multiple tumors so surgery may not always be the best route if any more tumors appear ( I really hope this doesn't happen).

Thank you for being a really caring hamster mom to Buddy!
Vierville is offline   Reply With Quote