View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 03:04 PM  
Kascopic
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Hamster baby colors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaTheHamster1 View Post
Hi, first of all where did you and your boyfriend obtained your hamsters? As you don't know the genetics of their parents am I correct in presuming they are from a pet store?
As you said you had done your research, I am sure you will know that a lot of pet shop bought hamsters can have genetic health issues.

Also, on a previous post didn't your hamster have a lump on it's underbelly area, is that one of these hamsters, did you get that resolved/fixed?
I know about the possible genetic problems with petstore animals, however there arnt any reputable breeders where I live and importing a hamster can be very costly. These two hams have been very healthy so far and I havent seen any issues related yet and its a chance im willing to take because the possibility of those traits coming out negatively is low (not saying it isn't possible but it is low) and im willing to cull/give veterinary treatment as needed. I have also found that especially with fish (I know fish are different) that buying stock from different pet stores at different times gives the best genetic diversity and often leads to healthier animals. and for the other hamster, the pet store I got her from took her back and gave her vet treatment, they are very reputable and I trust they found another home for her after treatment.

Last edited by Kascopic; 01-29-2020 at 03:11 PM.
Kascopic is offline   Reply With Quote