View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 11:54 AM  
EmmaAndChester
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Two hammies in divided Detolf

I am genuinely surprised at the amount of people claiming that half a detolf is appropriate for a dwarf hamster. Spoiler: it is not.

A single dwarf hamster needs a bare minimum (note: BARE minimum - it it recommend you strive for beyond this!) of 620"2. 450"2 is not a minimum - it is a made up number from another popular hamster forum, that was implemented for human convenience. I have no idea why it is still quoted when the very forum who made up that number scrapped it well over 2 years ago and now advocate for larger enclosures.

A detolf is suitable for housing only one dwarf hamster. Splitting it in half is unfair, unsuitable, and inappropriate housing for any of the four dwarf species.

Having two hamsters also does not guarantee that they will not pass at the same time. I had two hamsters last year, a year apart in age, pass literally one day after the other. It happens, and it's not unusual for it to happen.

TL;DR: a detolf is only big enough for housing a single dwarf hamster. Winter whites (and hybrids; which includes ANY campbells without proof of pedigree) are solitary species - housing them together is reckless at best.
EmmaAndChester is offline   Reply With Quote