View Single Post
Old 01-26-2020, 06:22 AM  
Petite
Senior Hamster

Default Re: New Russian dwarf dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vierville View Post
For her nesting material or bedding, please don't use anything fluffy or cotton -based. Most pet shops sell this type of bedding and it is extremely dangerous for hamsters since they often carry their bedding around in their mouths cnd a hamster may very well choke on or swallow a piece of this undigestible substance leading to choking or digestiv obstruction and death.
Vierville, do you mean ALL fluffy bedding? I've seen a number of threads on the forum that advocate not using this. I have been using "Animal Dreams" (made by Animal Dreams - Pet Bedding) - which does carry a warning that it's not suitable for new born or baby hamsters up to around 4 weeks old - and also "Natural Nestex" (produced by Pettex Ltd). The first describes itself as "natural wool bedding", and the latter as produced from "natural vegetable fibres". I've also used another one from the local garden centre. I certainly don't intend to continue using these if they are as dangerous as you say - although Theo seemed to like it, (and I've seen her carrying it in her mouth to her nest) and the pet shop section of the garden centre have it in all their cages. I wonder if you could point me to one or two of the relevant sources online? Many thanks for this warning. It's very worrying that the packaging states that it's safe (and even "ideal") for hamsters when it seems that this is not the case.
Petite is offline   Reply With Quote