View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 07:50 AM  
gingerj
Newborn Pup

Question Winter White hamster Aggression?!

Alright! I need some help with my winter white hamster, but before I ask... here is some background knowledge to reduce any questions/confusion. My hamster is a sapphire winter white dwarf hamster, and his name is Mushroom. His bin cage is 1040 square inches. I got him around 2-3 weeks ago.Anytime I would move anything in his cage and it would wake him up he would screech angrily until whatever it was stopped moving.( keep in mind I made sure I washed my hands and rubbed around in his bedding to avoid smelling like food) So now for the question and my concerns. I left him alone and talked to him the first few days he was around. I eventually started putting a pumpkin seed on my hand and he came over to grab them with no problem and would even come and climb into my palm! He was fine coming over to me until a few days ago (with during those times a few nips to the fingers) and I put my hand flat in the cage without a seed. He proceeded to try and bite me until I pulled my hand out and just left him alone, and he went to hide. I then put a glove on, which he came over to, and attacked! He wasn’t pulling at the glove as hard as possible until I took my hand out of the cage. I left him alone the rest of the day. The other night, I took him out for some playtime, and he bit my sweater when he climbed onto it ( I covered my hand with the sweater to avoid getting bitten.) and he had lots of fun climbing all over my arms and he even crawled up my sweater and down my back! I eventually took my hands out and he had no problem climbing all over them. Until I set him down, I laid my hand down on the ground and he came over, and bit me once again! Hard this time. I was baffled so I put him back in his cage. Well. This morning, I was watching him run around, and I once again attempted with my sweater over hand , and he tried biting it. I pulled out my actual hand , and he climbed in my hand and sat there for a second ( I did not move, I kept my hand completely still to avoid alarming him) and he proceeded to bite my pinky finger so hard he drew blood this time!? I’m very confused and giving up at this point. I’m wondering why his behavior changed so suddenly. (He seems very comfortable when I actual handle him in my arms when I pick him up on my sweaters? I also stopped giving him treats on my hands after he got comfortable coming over to me )
gingerj is offline   Reply With Quote