View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 11:38 AM  
OliverS
Newborn Pup

Default Homemade Bin Cage Advice

Hi all,

Firstly, sorry for the essay. Questions at the bottom of you don’t want to read it all (wouldn’t blame you).

Looking for a bit of advice from you hammy geniuses as I’m still a relative novice to having my own that my dad didn’t look after.

I’m making a couple of bin cages for my babies as I’m having to split them up. They’re currently in a Pico XL which I’ve recently been informed is too small for them but they love the shelves so I’m wanting to put at least one or two in their new bins.

What is the best material to make the shelves out of? I’ve seen a couple of threads but I just wanted to confirm. Obviously plywood, chipboard, etc. are no-nos but what’s good, cheap and easy to use? I’m going to make a shelf and legs out of the same and use non-toxic hot glue to stick it together.

TLDR; in order to stop explaining every question, list of questions below:

1) What is a good, cheap, easy to use material to make shelves, ramps to shelves, etc.?
2) Is hot glue to make the shelves acceptable if it’s non-toxic and any leakage is cleaned up? If not, how can I attach legs to a shelf?
3) What is the best way to attach a water bottle? I’ve seen Velcro mentioned but I don’t want it to curl around the bottle and the hammies to hurt themselves on it if it’s too wide?
4) What size holes in the mesh are the minimum and maximum?
5) Does anyone know where I can get a cage door from (UK based)? I can doctor the current cage for one but I could do with another.

Thank you in advance guys.

Last edited by OliverS; 01-18-2020 at 12:17 PM.
OliverS is offline   Reply With Quote