View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 03:37 PM  
Vierville
Hamster Addict

Default Re: how feasible it is to relocate overseas with ham

I would be concerned about air travel in the cargo hold for a sensitive little animal like a hamster. As an airline pilot myself I have seen how noisy and rough the experience is for horses,dogs and cats who travel in the hold. While they may be treated professionally and well, the whole experience is noisy, bumpy and probably quite scary for them.

I believe that some airlines permit very small animals like hamsters to travel with their owners in the cabin if you specify that the animal is an 'emotional support animal'.

I'm not sure if any documentation is required by the airline to verify that the animal is an emotional support animal but if it meant my hamster travelling with me in the cabin, I'd think it is worth visiting a mental health professional to get a letter stating this.

My other concern would be what is the quarantine process like? How long would she need to be at a facility? The pet movers would be able to advise you on this but if it is an extended period of time then it would be very stressful to her.

Last edited by Vierville; 01-16-2020 at 03:51 PM.
Vierville is offline   Reply With Quote