View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 06:49 AM  
JasonR
Newborn Pup

Question Help! Hamster Fighting

Hi All, I'm new here and was hoping to get some advice from you please...

Just over 3 months ago, My Syrian hamster passed away after little over 3 years, she meant so much to me and my partner, we decided that we'd buy more. This time around we went for 3 Russian Dwarfs (we were going to buy 2 but we couldn't leave the 3rd one to be sold separately, they were all sleeping together).

A week goes by and all 3 Hamsters are happily getting along in the cage, 2 of them decide to sleep in one area, and the other made a corner nest...2 weeks in and the 2 who have been sticking together kept looking for the third and both attacking her at the same time...I read online about this happening at the beginning whilst asserting dominance so I left it for 3 days....On the 3rd day it was getting so severe that the third hamster couldn't even sleep, so I bought a new cage, and although she is more shy now, she is happily living her life separately and each day makes a little more progress to come back out of her shell.

Sorry for the long post, but the reason I explained all this, is that shoot forward 2 months and we now have discovered the 2 who stuck together were boys (not girls as sexed in the shop) and the singular hamster is a girl...

Even though the 2 hamsters who have been cuddling together, affectionately sniffing, licking, nibbling eachother, one of them has decided that TODAY he doesn't like the other, and is defending both wheels, food, water and basically any time the other moves from his bed, he is running over and attacking him. Today is also the only day they haven't slept with eachother, and I had to take the naughty hamster out a moment ago just so the other could get to the food/wheel...

I'm so confused why one of them has suddenly flipped on the other, but she is being very territorial...literally yesterday I was taking pictures of them cleaning eachother..

THANK YOU so much for reading my post!! and I would appreciate any advice, no matter how small. I just keep finding conflicting advice on websites and realize that 'one size fits all' approach doesn't work for living beings.
JasonR is offline   Reply With Quote