View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 03:05 PM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Acetone urine odour

A diabetic hamster can drink 24mls or more in 24hrs so 24mls in ten days isn't much at all.

Our Percy, who is a diabetic dwarf, does have smell about his habitat but its more sweetish. Hard to describe and he pees a lot so i have to spot clean the wet patches every few days.

There's glucose in his wee so he can't have items made from woods etc because they form a mould when wet which can grow harmful bacteria. You would have noticed the mould when cleaning their cages. It was visible on the legs of a bamboo table i had in Percy's cage before i changed all to washable plastic and ceramic.

Best not to worry just now until you can test them. I was very upset when Percy tested positive but he's not worried. So far it has not affected his daily hamster life. He drinks and pees more than the others but aside from that you'd never know he's diabetic. He's a much happier hamster now than when we first got him which could also have something to do with a better diet.
You are aware of diabetes and what not to feed a dwarf so yours have a better chance of not getting it.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote