View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 01:48 PM  
Petite
Senior Hamster

Default Possible ruptured eye

My winter white, Theo, has had problems with her right eye for several months now. I've taken her to the vet three times. Visit 1: Possible infection, given antibiotics via her water bottle. Visit 2: Vet said it could be glaucoma, and they couldn't rule out her losing the eye. Visit 3 (still with no improvement): told that all they could do was monitor her. We said we would monitor her at home, and they seemed happy with that.

Tonight I went to feed her, and she was in one of her hides, really drowsy, reluctant to come out (not normal when I'm offering her food) and her right eye - instead of bulging as it usually has been - was almost invisible, with streaks of blood around it. We are very afraid her eye may have ruptured. She took a morsel of food from my hand when offered, then went into her nest. It's impossible to tell if she's in any pain, but I fear she may well be. I don't like to try cleaning the eye in case I make things worse and cause more pain.

Will try to get hold of the vet out of hours tomorrow morning, but is there anything I can do until then? Really worried.
Petite is offline   Reply With Quote