View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 09:08 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Robo hamster scared?

Hi Johntu. I agree with all the members who have advised against puting your wee roborovski into a large sunken space like a bathtub.

I took on two Robos on separate occasions in the past (both Gumtree rescues in the UK) and both were never handled. I chose the path that it`s better to allow the hamster to stay inside the area they are most comfortable with and that is their cage. Full stop. Robos being the speedy little creatures they are can and will find ways to injure themselves if placed into areas or situations where they could fall, or become so stressed (as you have found) that it reverses the calm ways you started out progressing with.

I found that my Roborovski`s became their own little `people` without me coersing them into being held or chased around. I know that`s not everyone`s idea of hamster ownership but believe me, in the end, patience and time wins the day if you remove the humanisation part. When my two boys became older, they mellowed so much that the hands-off approach I took with them was rewarded and I could actually handle them without being nipped or growled at! They end up seeking YOU out rather than the other way round, but respect comes into it too and allowing a hamster (any hamster) it`s own space and time to be themselves while you as the owner spot cleans around them and give them a daily routine they don`t fear, the results will speak for themselves.

Handling anywhere outside the cage can result in a Robo leaping and landing on the floor which is a recipe for disaster. They have long back legs which are used for speed, not climbing either. So no `runged` ladders or cage with high shelving. It`s not necessary for a robo as they are ground dwellers. Chinese hamsters are the climbers as they are far more mouse-like in that ability.

Hope this is helpful and lots of good advice given above my post too. Enjoy your little friend and let him be himself and laugh at his antics! That`s basically what robos do, make you laugh!