View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 02:01 AM  
peculiarplanets
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Introduction + question about new Syrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Hi & welcome to HC
Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your new ham settling in, it can be disheartening but they do vary a lot & some can take a lot longer than others.
What's her tank set up like? Sometimes a few changes can help them feel more secure & settle more quickly, do you have much open space in the tank & how about a house. It's hard to guess without seeing it but there might be something you can do there.
You've been doing all the right things getting her used to your voice & presence around the tank so she may just need more time.
Her tank has three hiding places: a large tube in the bedding (her favourite place), a wooden log with a hole in it, and a house on the other side of the tank, underneath a platform that has chinchilla sand in it. There's also a (safe) plant in her cage as well as a piece of wood she can hide under. And there's more bedding where she can burrow if she wishes. So there's not much open space for her to feel vulnerable, at least that's what I think.

Yesterday I noticed that she was startled by my voice again. Like she'll hear me, freeze, look around, walk around, and then slowly goes to hide. It's odd because other times she doesn't seem startled by my voice. Because I wasn't sure where I was at with her, I very slowly stuck my hand in the cage when I saw her up and about. She just froze and then ran off. So while that might be disappointing, it's good for me to know because that means she's not ready for that yet. (I did leave a treat where my hand was, and she did take it later). I've also noticed she's up and about when it's quiet. When I woke up early yesterday (around 7am) and came into the living room I saw her, and yesterday after returning from dance class (9.30pm) she was awake too.
peculiarplanets is offline   Reply With Quote