View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 08:39 AM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Re: Star The Hamster

Thanks,
Yes, you are probably right, I am sure noisy kids won't have helped.
I just start slowly by talking to them at the cage door. maybe offering food through the bar, working up to putting my hand in the cage, then with food on. Always watching the hamster so it doesn't get chance to nibble my fingers/hand.
Once this seems to be going well, I also leave the cage door down to see if they are interested in coming out to explore. If they are, and they are still quite squirmy/jumpy at first I use a jug to transfer them (this gets rid of chances of dropping the hamster if they squirm out of your hands) from their cage to either the bath or a big box which has toys in. You can normally feel the hamster tense up in your hands, when it gets used to you I find this no longer happens. I work with a hamster in a big box so they can get used to interacting with my hands/arms.
With the bath, I actually get in with them, so they get used to climbing all over me and know that I am safe and won't hurt them. It can take weeks or a couple of months, depending on the hamsters nature and background. Sometimes it can take days, just depends.
I have done a couple of videos on this, but Sunny just died so I won't be releasing them on YouTube, but if you are interested I am happy to send a private message with a link to the unlisted videos if that will help you.