View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 08:33 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: new to dwarf hamsters , toy and food suggestions

I only started keeping hamsters in March this year and hadn't done my research so my Syrian is now on his second cage and fourth wheel! Everything i know now i have learned on this forum where people are ever so helpful.

Shops, shop assistants, books and the internet don't make life easy by supplying us with inadequate cages, incorrect and outdated information and sometimes downright dangerous hamster toys etc.

Rant over and back to your question of how often i feed my dwarves. Opinions vary on this one. Some people wait until all is eaten up then refill and some feed daily or every second day.
I feed my dwarves daily unless there's lots left and then i wait till the next evening. A scoopful or a heaped teaspoonful is sufficient for mine because they get fresh food and treats as well. I don't put all in their bowls but scatter feed some or hide it in hay, a pine cone, toys etc.

Best to cut the fresh veg very small because that way it won't rot but shrivel up when hidden somewhere in a hoard.

And don't forget a Whimzee dog chew, they love those and may well drag them to their nests. I get the xs or s toothbrushes but there are other shapes.

What's your hamster's name?
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote