View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 07:39 AM  
Brianh96
Hamster Pup

Default Re: new to dwarf hamsters , toy and food suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
I have an adopted dwarf hybrid from pets@home who has diabetes, not that the shop had noticed his excessive drinking and peeing.
That is something to watch out for. It's easy to test with a kit bought from Amazon but hopefully yours is well and the majority of hamsters are.
Best to avoid sugary foods like all fruits, fresh and dried and carrots and stick to greens like kale, cucumber, broccoli, spinach etc in small amounts and introduced gradually.
Rodipet does a dwarf hybrid hamster mix which is higher in protein apparently and that's the one i feed my dwarf Percy.
Mealworms, brown linseeds, a bit of hard boiled egg and plain boiled chicken are things i give him now and again. Well, he gets the linseeds and a couple of mealworms daily as treats.

I have a Syrian, a dwarf and a Robo. They like similar things but in different sizes of course. The dwarves live underground and build tunnels in their Kaytee c&c substrate so use their houses more like a porch. They have logs, tunnels, bendy bridges, cork, a big sand bath is a must for a dwarf (i use tiny friends farm from p@h £3), a coconut hide, millet sprays, pebbles, clay pots etc. Dwarves are so small and love to run in and out things. Avoid anything with chains or fabric like hammocks and swings because tiny paws can get caught in them. Sputniks are a good and safe option should you be looking for something to hang off the roof.

What a lovely Christmas present for you and the hamster!

Zooplus has some good offers for cork tunnels and the Trixie long bendy bridges etc.

great thankyou, ile take that advice and use it and it realy was a fantatic suprise. I had 2 dwarfs around four years ago and to say the least they had a horrible life, they both lived less that a year, i would use fluffy cotton bedding in thier bed and they were in one of those habitrail OVO dwarf hamster habitat. looking back now I cringe to think about what i did wrong. this was all due to the fact i hadnt done my research in advance and didnt know that there was a minimum cage size. thank god i sorted myself out and the syrian i just had had an amazing live with plenty of enrichment and with me using the Barney cage he had plenty of room
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Brianh96 is offline   Reply With Quote