View Single Post
Old 12-18-2019, 07:58 PM  
EmmaAndChester
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Which is Better: Water Bottles or Water Bowls?

I would discourage the use of anything larger than 5cm diameter for a hamster who has shown they will jump into the bowl. If you use a saucer, there is a high likelihood that he is going to constantly trek through the water, contaminate it, and drive you insane by constantly needing to change it throughout the day.

I use the rodipet bowls and have used them for all five species; they are 5cm diameter, about 3cm high - i have never had a hamster fall into them and if they do jump in, it wouldn't be a big deal for an adult, or even juvenile dwarf. He should realise that if he goes in, he'll get wet and should eventually stop the behaviour. Just don't fill the bowl to the brim until his brain makes the association that jumping into the bowl = hes gonna get wet. Place it in an area that is low traffic too; don't give him any reason to view trekking to the bowl as a shortcut to where he wants to go.

I have been an advocate for use of bowls for several years now; theyre cleaner, theyre more ntaural, and allow the animal to drink freely and at whatever pace they want vs water bottles which are more difficult to clean, overall more unnatural drinking position, and only release small droplets at a time. Ultimately choose what works best for your hamster; for mine, it has always been bowls. I place them on top of their multi chamber houses; never had any issues with them diving in them or kicking bedding into the water.
EmmaAndChester is offline   Reply With Quote