View Single Post
Old 12-18-2019, 02:03 PM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: Cleaning hideaway/bed/nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo 17 View Post
Kate30
Hi...I am sorry to use this thread, but I have similar question to the one from kate30.
I am new owner ( 3 weeks ) of hamster, I am so scared to stress him out...I can not yet figure it out where he makes his toilet. He had a house that he slept in, I lifted his roof when he was awake to spot clean, noticed lots of poop etc, cleaned it put back as much old bedding as I could, but he did not want to sleep there anymore, found himself new bed under platform. I left him be for a while but had to check there as well as still did not notice any toilet signs in the cage... I checked the bedding, found some poo, cleaned it this same - and he did not want to sleep there again. Found himself new bed... in the magazine holder from ikea ( wooden one. That one is a box with room and bottom, deep one. He seamed to make it really clean and tidy on the front and plenty bedding and lovely bed right on the back of the box. For me to clean I would have to be very invasive to his bedroom...I am so worried that he will not come back there again... What can I do, please advise...
Thank you
Only clean when it begins to smell. Paper bedding typically is more absorbent and odour controlling. Bigger enclosures take longer to get dirty because it's spread across so much space so it's not as concentrated. If your hamster likes to toilet in one specific area id suggest spot cleaning that area. Like my ham he doesn't pick a spot. I sift through good and soiled bedding once every 2 weeks and give the base a wipe but now I'm using a bigger enclosure so I theory I can leave it longer now. I wipe down the wheel every couple of days as mine wees as he runs so it gets quite mucky
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote