View Single Post
Old 12-18-2019, 01:52 PM  
Engel
Hamster Addict

Default Re: Cleaning hideaway/bed/nest

I roughly know the size of my hams nest but I cant check from above the only gap is on the bottom so when the ham is awake and out of the nest I clear the immediate area around the nest put my hand underneath it and lift it away from the base. As it is within a birch log it stays together pretty well. I then sift through any dirty bedding underneath and get rid of the poop, give it a wipe down put some bedding down and place the nest back where it was. Nests are pretty well put together and providing it's supported and you're gentle it should withstand moving.

I'm with Ria, follow your nose. When it starts to smell it's time for a clean. I use paper based bedding and in my old setup which was roughly 500sq inches I did a clean once every 2 weeks. (The sort where you go through good and bad bedding, remove the nest carefully, wipe down the cage base and put everything back in including the nest and put it in the same place as it was before.

If you can see the hoard without disturbing the nest why not skip a day of feeding so she can use up some of the stash. Helps to keep it fresh without you going into the nest.

Why not put nesting materials around her cage so she can replace what you remove?
Engel is offline   Reply With Quote