View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 04:02 PM  
sushi_78
Hamster Overlord

Default Re: My gerbils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalis_mum View Post
Hi Sushi

I am adopting a gerbil from my local blue cross where I volunteer. What's the general consensus on wheels these days? They tend to chew plastic and wooden ones but mesh ones have the risk of bumble foot or losing a toe. My adoptee is a single gentleman and I want to make sure he has all the enrichment he needs... I've not had a gerbil for a few years so I am trying to do research but cannot find a n answer to the wheel issue.
Hi,

The general consensus seems to be that if you have a wheel at all, it should be 8+ inches and bigger is better as long as they can turn it. If you can fit a 12 inch wheel, that would be great.

While less plastic is always preferred in a gerbil cage, it can be difficult to find wheels and water bottles that aren't plastic, so most owners make exceptions for these items. If you do go for a plastic wheel I would recommend the Silent Spinner, because I think the curved edge of this one might make it a bit more difficult for gerbils to chew. Though gerbils are quite determined and if they think something needs destroying, they will find a way. I think with gerbils it is just best to assume that anything that isn't glass or ceramic will get chewed and will need replacing eventually, unfortunately.

Some people cover mesh wheels with duct tape to make it safe. Personally I would be worried about gerbils chewing this. Do avoid any wheel with an open back, as gerbils' tails can get caught between the rotating wheel and the stand, causing degloving.

I have never yet had a gerbil that has used a wheel. If this gerbil currently has a wheel and uses it, I would definitely provide one. If not, personally I wouldn't bother, especially if your tank doesn't have a topper where it could go. Wheels take up valuable space in a tank that could be used for digging.

How old is the gerbil you are adopting?
sushi_78 is offline   Reply With Quote