View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 06:38 AM  
Fluffagrams

Default Re: Help! - Which breed?

I've currently got 5 Chinese, 5 Roborovski, 4 Campbells, 1 Winter White and 1 Syrian so have got experience with all five species.

For most people, I tend to recommend Syrians as they find their larger size makes them easier to hold but it depends on what you're looking for.

I wouldn't always say that Syrians are necessarily the most cuddly. Egg (my Syrian) would rather run all over me and the sofa whereas Elizabeth and Leo (both Chinese) are very cuddly and will snuggle up on my shoulder and go to sleep. In contrast Charlotte and Sammi (also Chinese) are cheeky, inquisitive and confident hamsters who love to play and explore.

Roborovskis can be difficult to handle because they are lively but they can be handled if you get them from a good breeder. All five of my Roborovskis will sit on my hand for short periods of time on my hand but usually enjoy walking from hand to hand. They're highly amusing to watch in their cages.

My Campbells and Winter White are nice hamsters and most are friendly... One Campbells has got grumpy in his old age so I tend to leave him be but the rest still seem to enjoy contact with me but do not sit like some of the Chinese do.

I'm not sure where you're located but at hamster shows in the UK, there is often the option to buy hamsters from Club Breeders and you're usually allowed to handle the hamsters before purchasing and the breeders will have bred from hamsters with a sound temperament so you stand a good chance of getting a nice hamster.
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote