View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 01:52 PM  
Bryony
Newborn Pup

Smile Re: Help! - Which breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engel View Post
First off that bin cage is perfect whether for a Syrian or dwarf. Just make sure it's also plenty deep enough for them to burrow. I've heard 10" of substrate for a Syrian being ideal although I'm sure a dwarf wouldn't complain. Lol.

There are 5 species of hamster. Syrian, Chinese, Russians being winter White and Campbell's and the the tiniest the Roborovski.

People think Syrians are easiest to tame but that's more down to their size I think. They get to about 6" and maybe people are more confident in handling a larger one as there not as fast and there's more hamster to hold on to. Aim for an 11" wheel for these guys.

Dwarf hamsters, specifically Campbell's and winter White are very common despite the fact they're known for biting. Most of this is due to fear but once someone gets bitten they're a bit worried about it happening again so avoid touching the hamster in general. These guys are often interbred as they're so closely related creating hybrids so a true winter White or a true Campbell's can be difficult to find. These guys are 4" approx. Aim for an 8" wheel.

I don't know much about Chinese hamsters. I know they have a tail and can be confused for mice. They too get to about 4" but unsure if that includes the tail. 8"-10" wheel is recommended. They're difficult to find and are quite timid.

Probably my fave, the Roborovski! These guys are super tiny, about 2" long. 6-7" wheel is fine for them. These are considered the hardest to tame because they are the fastest and most skittish of all the hamster species kept as pets. Often kept by enthusiasts and 'experts' generally people who know what they're doing because it can be very difficult. That being said, I have one (look at thread titled meet Niko) and he was basically tame within a month, and will quite happily sit on my shoulder or chill in my pocket.

Basically they can all be a pain in the backside and be scared, stubborn and nippy. It takes time and patience no matter which you choose. They're all individuals and those are just the stereotypes. Obviously some fit the stereotype and others don't.

I went to adopt a Syrian and saw this tiny robo and handled him, I knew it was meant to be. Don't limit yourself and pick a particular species, they'll choose you! (And have you wrapped around their little paw)
Thank you for taking the time to give me all this information! It is great to have a summary of the different breeds and hear some positives about them all! I have also seen many tame dwarfs and robos online so I guess I shouldn't believe in their bad reputation
Bryony is offline   Reply With Quote