View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 12:01 PM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Help a new Surprise Hamster Mom!

I adopted an angry dwarf hamster who is on a constant mission to bite my fingers. When i stroke him he gives himself a shake unless he's busy eating or drinking and when i try to pick him up he throws himself about to get rid of me.
He takes mealworms from my fingers now and i've tried taming tactics like putting my hand flat in his cage or play pen with a seed on it. He bites my hand first and then runs off with the seed.
Oh well, he doesn't return my affection either but seems happy enough hamstering about minding his own business.

Give taming a go by letting him get used to your voice and smell first then offer him a treat with your fingers, a seed on the palm of your hand, stroke him gently with one finger and move on to picking him up or get him out in a mug for out of cage time in a secure place like a play pen. Make sure that he has a big enough cage and plenty of substrate, a decent house and wheel, plenty of hides like tunnels etc to keep him happy and they love a whimzee dog chew.

If he turns out to be a hamster like my dwarf who likes his own company best, he'll still be a lovely little animal to have around to watch rather than handle. Hamsters are solitary animals and some need humans only to keep them fed, watered, entertained and comfortable.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote