View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 05:03 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Dried thyme for emergency allergies?

How old is she? Respiratory problems can be caused by a number of things, not just infection or allergy. However you say there is a mould problem so it could be this is significant - however not necessarily. I know a bit about this subject - am asthmatic myself and with a diagnosed allergy to "moulds". But people who aren't allergic to moulds can be completely unaffected by it sometimes because there are many different types of "mould". In my case it is the fungus that causes dry rot - which puts out millions of mould spores in the air. Whereas green mould growing on food is not a problem (although probably wouldn't do any good to eat it).

So there are two issues with moulds. The first is - if there is an allergy to it then it will affect you. The second is - it may not affect you if you are not actually allergic to it - but that some moulds could lead to fungal infections.

Just because a human has an allergy to mould doesn't mean a hamster does. But it is possible she has a fungal infection. Or if she is older it could even be kidney or heart problems causing the breathlessness.

Most houses have some mould somewhere. Not all of them are a problem. I find it's the ones you can't see that affect breathing - where the whole place has a strong fusty smell when the heating is on, and goes away when the heating is off.

You can have mould growing round metal window frames and it looks awful but does no harm. You can have mould growing on wallpaper and it looks horrible but does no harm - unless it is a particular kind of nasty black mould. But not all black moulds are toxic like that one. Most people have black type moulds in bathrooms - looks unsightly but doesn't bother you and washes off easily.

It is not nice for you if you have severe mould allergies and there is a problem in the house. I assume this is affecting you. The only immediate solution is a very expensive hepa filter - the large ones that remove particles as small as mould spores. Or to move house. I had to move house once due to a severe problem, but years later found there was a much simpler solution which was opening up chimneys to ventilate the house properly and lighting a real fire for a couple of weeks. The whole problem was solived in two weeks. But if it's not your own house you can't do things like that and not every house has chimneys that have been blocked off.

Try not to panic - it makes everything worse. Can you give a bit more information. What sort of mould problem is it in the house? Is it visible or does it just smell. Visible mould can be killed off with cleaning solution. How old is your hamster? (You say she only had problems in the last four days which suggests she was fine before).

Thyme won't do any good - it's an antiseptic and mildly antibiotic - won't make any difference at all when there is no infection.

I would suggest getting some Benebac probiotic - your vet may sell it and Amazon does I think. The dosage is on the pack - it's just a tiny amount for a hamster - about a pinch but it goes by weight of the hamster. Just sprinkle it on or mix it into her food. It is a natural way of boosting her immune system and rebalancing any fungal situation. Fungus can't grow in the wrong internal environment.

If it isn't her age then another thing would be to try taking her to stay somewhere else - with a friend or relative - for a week or two and see if she improves. This things can quickly improve once you're out of the environment - if it is actually a problem with the air quality.

I think it sounds like quite a problem for you too. Do give us a bit more information. If you have visible mould growing somewhere that is not the bathroom, then you can get it sampled and tested and that should give reassurance. There is only one type that is toxic and it is not that common. The rest is just unsightly.

If it is affecting you (asthma?) then it does sound like you may need to think about moving or investing in a very good hepa filter (the ones that are effective cost about £300 I think - like a large box you plug in). Sadly many people like landlords don't understand when a person is allergic and affected when other people aren't affected.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote