View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 02:55 AM  
peridotgreen
Adult Hamster

Default Re: I think I may of made my hamster blind my accident :'(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
You could rinse it with saline. If you have a first aid kit there is often a saline eye wash in it. If not you can make some. A teaspoon of salt dissolved in boiling water (ie put a teaspoon of salt in a jug and add boiling water up to a pint level). Then let it go cold. When it's cold iuse a cotton bud dipped in it and gently bathe her eye. Don't have the cotton bud sopping wet or you'll soak the hamster - just slightly wet but not dripping. You could swaddle your hamster in a towel while you do it. Just gently dab the eye area with the saline. It will help soothe as well as heal.

It is more likely your hamster has just half closed the eye because the cream in it - I don't think there's anything in the gel that would make her go blind although gentle eye clean with saline will help remove some of it. Isaderm seems to be mostly a steroid gel with a bit of antibiotic in so I don't think it'll do any real harm but might cause discomfort.

Edit: Posted at the same time as Souffle If you don't have a cotton bud, use the corner of a soft cloth

I think I will try making some tonight as shes back in her bed now.

Her eye is still strange, its like you know where they are usually 'out' hers is inwards, like kinda tucked in & kind of narrow, like 'flat' but not like half closed if that makes sense, i looked up images of blind hamsters and the eyes are very similar (

Im pretty sure it was the isaderm but it may of even been the baytril or metacam, i know once she moved as i was squirting it into her mouth :/

Last edited by peridotgreen; 11-26-2019 at 04:40 AM.
peridotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote