View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 02:44 AM  
Charlie Dunn
Senior Hamster

Default Re: Benign tumours in hamsters

I am so sorry to hear that Chippy has a tumour. It is always such upsetting news to get. Our last ham, bojo, had several tumours. We decided given his age that it was not right for him to have any stressful and invasive procedures so worked with the vet on keeping him happy, pain free and with the best quality of life he could have.
We gave him metacam for pain relief which he would take sometimes but not others! Over time he also lost some of his appetite after so we got some medicine to stop him feeling nauseous. That worked very well and he ate more after that. Towards the end, we fed him baby food and things like scrambled egg in addition to his usual muesli and treats.
We were very thankful that his quality of life was never impacted to the point that we felt the need to take him to the vet to be put to sleep. He ended his days at home and seemed to want contact with us as much as he could. He was so content snoozing in our hands or with us just being near him.
He did so well and managed quite happily for a few months, longer than the vet expected. Each ham will be different and it is important to have a good vet to speak to and get advice from. I also got such a lot of good advice and information from various threads on this forum. We did not have to make many adjustments to his cage until quite near the end. We just took it one day a time. I hope chippy continues on the same form as he is now for a while to come yet. X
Charlie Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote