View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 08:07 PM  
Dessi
Hamster Pup

Default Re: New hamster very skittish... help!

I pick out sunflower seeds from Nuage’s seed mix and give him one or two when I handle him, either before or after picking him up. I want him to associate me with something he likes. Don’t offer your fingers to smell, that’s asking for a bite. Lay your hand flat with the sunflower in it and let her take it. Don’t try to pick her up at first and then randomly pick her up, not every time. You don’t want to be associated with being picked up. Make it random so she never knows.

As for cleaning the cage, just do it. Slowly start removing the items in her cage for clean-up, then when you find her, make sure there is nowhere to hide (remove it), then cup her up in your hands or use her house upside down or other item to offer her so she climbs in it. Then you will have access to her. It’s a good time to work on taming a bit and then place her in her playground while you clean her cage.

Clean what has to be cleaned with water and gentle soap if needed but leave what is not soiled so she doesn’t lose all her scent.
Dessi is offline   Reply With Quote