View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 12:34 PM  
robpot53
Newborn Pup

Default Re: New hamster very skittish... help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossypet View Post
If your hamster is sleeping in the tubes you will probably have to remove those eventually as they are not really big enough for a nest and she is probably not so comfortable there.
Does your hamster have another safe place to run to or nest in?

The first thing for you to do would be to try to get her to change her nest. If you make another area of the cage really comfy and cosy e.g. a plastic house she may choose to move in there.

I think the problem at the moment is that she is extremely nervous being in a new place and as she can pretty much live out her life in that little tube that is what she is doing.

Does he know how to use her wheel? At first I had to get my hamster the same wheel that she had in the pet store so that she had a wheel that she knew how to use. Then I put in the wheel that I wanted her to use as well, and when she was comfortable using that one I took the other one out.

What cage is she in?

She has two different places she could nest - one's a plastic house, and the other is a wooden arch of sorts that she had in the pet shop. She's gotten worse over the past day or so since I had to clean the tube as she's started to pee in there as well now and the smell gets strong pretty quickly.

As for her wheel, I think she does? I haven't seen her on it myself but I can hear it squeaking during the night so I think she's using it. I've been putting bits of her bedding on the top of it too to see if it's still there and it never is.

I've also built up one corner of the cage with enough of the bedding and the hay/chippings that she can burrow into. She was doing it a bit at first but since cleaning the tube she seems to have gone back to square one

Her cage is one with a plastic base and a wire cage top. It was suggested to me by the store so I figured it was fine! The tube wraps around the back of the cage.

Hopefully that answers everything!
robpot53 is offline   Reply With Quote