Thread: Red lights
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 12:08 PM  
EmmaAndChester
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Red lights

I've been curious about this for a long time; has anyone got any solid proof that red lightbulbs dont bother hamsters?

I have a hedgehog & a leopard gecko; both species requiring some form of heat source. For both species, red lights are a big no-no because while no, it is believed that they cannot see the red, they can still see the light emitted from them and may perceive it as a colour other than red. Like someone who is colourblind and can't see green or something; that doesn't necessarily mean that they can't see the green traffic light - it just means that they see it as a different colour than you.

I've also read additional arguments being that red bulbs aren't just producing 100% red light - it is white light, being passed through a red coloured bulb and thus, it is still visible.

Honestly, to me at least, it seems likely that hamsters can indeed see a difference when a red light is switched on. Mine have all reacted; and I dont think its a coincidence that they just happened to assume meerkat position as soon as the red light switched on. Personally I haven't found any solid proof that states that hamsters cannot see red light at all; it honestly seems like some sort of myth created by someone who thinks infrared and red are the same thing.
EmmaAndChester is offline   Reply With Quote